Thursday, October 16, 2014

Levi Kinsel, A Navy Sailor

Jesus Nava
Mr. Blas
Honors U.S. History
10/17/14
Levy Kinsel's Letters

During World War II American troops had different ways of communicating with their love one back home. By reading the letters that Levi D. Kinsel wrote to his wife, I was able to determine three qualities of Levi Kinsel. The three qualities that I chose for Levi were Observant, Honest and Loving. By reading the letters from Levi I believe that these three qualities that I chose represent Levi the most.

Through out the letters that Levi wrote to Rose I was able to see that Levi pays attention to small details. In the first letter Levi wrote on January 23, 193 " We landed here yesterday at 4:15, that would be 12:15 in S.D. the time has change another hr. we are about 100 miles east of Miami and Florida." This quote shows how Levi pays attention to time and what the time would in S.D. Another letter that shows how Levi is very observant is the letter #36 from April 13,1944 Levi wrote " I was just over to the barber  for a hair cut and I guess I got hair down my back by the way it itches... They are dirty cold as well as full of drunks and crying kids." This quote shows how Levi pays attention to small detail like the hairs down his back and the train full of drunks and crying kids. After reading the quotes we can see that Levi is the type of person who pays close attention to small details.

During the time Levi was in the Navy he wrote multiple letters to Rose Kinsel, that show how he is a loving person.  In the first letter that Levi send Rose he said "How about sending me a small picture of yourself. I got me a free fold and it has a place for one in it. Love Levi" This sentence shows how Levi cares about his wife and he misses her. Another quote that shows how Levi is caring is in the third letter "... goodnight and lots of love from me to you." This quote shows how Levi misses Rose and he trully loves and cares for her. The quotes show how Levi is loving because he misses his wife and hopes that they can reunite soon.

The last characteristic that I chose was Honest. This a a characteristic that represents Levi because in every letter he always tell Rose the truth. For example in the letter #14 Levi says " Well I don't know much to write about. Everyday here is the same, nothing much happens. The chow is so bad I can hardly eat it... it takes an hour to get a milk shake.'' This quote shows how Levi is honest with Rose, he doesn't try to make his stories more interesting. Another quote that shows that Levy is honest  is ''I drew $347 today regular pay and $29.90 claim on transportation.'' This quote shows how Levi is honest to his wife because he tells her how much money he took of the account and how much he spent. These last two quotes show that Levi is honest to his wife and other people.
 
After reading all the letters that Levi sent to his wife Rose we can see that he is an Observant, Honest and Loving person. He always paid attention to small details. Levi also was very honest, he would always tell Rose everything he did. Lastly Levi always told Rose that he misses her and loves her.

No comments:

Post a Comment